Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bush Wins!

I would be depressed about the radicals on the Supreme Court overturning a hundred years of precedent in order to fully convert our system to a corporatocracy, but I haven't finished being alternately depressed and incensed by the Democratic leadership rushing to shoot the Party dead in a ditch.

I mean, in the long run, how much will the overturning of campaign financing law matter, when the party is dominated by people who think that it's going to be OK with the American voter that, after all those promises, they spent an entire friggin' year on health care funding reform, and then just decided to drop it a foot from the goal line?

With the existing politicians so feckless already, who knows? It might just be refreshing to actually have them wearing corporate logos.

Today, Mr. Yes-We-Can is signaling that, what do you know, he's very busy right now and he can't be bothered pressuring anyone to get the damn thing finished. Fabulous. Way to lead, big guy.

I mean, I'm sure glad Barack spent some time today harshing on Wall Street, perhaps especially since it seems like he didn't get the Secretary of Goldman-Sachs on-board ahead of time. And to be fair, I'm all for limits on banks size and investments. We've got to reform the system. Absolutely.

But I'd feel WAY better about it if I knew that he'd already signed a law putting an end to the pre-existing conditions scandal, and that I had a hope of health care if I lost my job.

I kinda believed him when he told me last year that he'd get that done by August, so I'm not really in the mood to hear him say, "Well, you know what, Wall St. is really important, and herding Congressional kittens is hard work, so, well, I'm gonna go talk about banks now, n'K?" Mainly because the economy's so messed up that it'll be a while before the banksters can run it aground again, but people are sick and going untreated and I could easily be one of them, RIGHT NOW!

And once I get all cranked up about that, it's really hard to move on to deal with the way those Bush Supreme Court appointees (that I TOLD them not to confirm (especially Mr. Balls-and-Strikes Roberts - what a joke!)) are so thoroughly shameless about politicizing the Court and transforming America-as-we-know-it into a Second Gilded Age. It's just too much, you know?

Because a year ago I was full of hope and pride in my country and thinking that maybe, just maybe, we were gonna turn things around. And now what? The only "progress" is that instead of just calling Joe Lieberman the "Senator from Aetna" that he will actually just be the Senator from Aetna?

Swell. Just swell.